The specific criteria shall be evaluated under four sub-headings. They are content, design and layout, navigation, and lasting impression. In each of these areas there is a maximum point value assigned. The scores from each of these four sections are then added together for your final score.
- Site has a central theme or subject which is evident from your entry page.
- The entry page should entice the viewer into your site.
- The site educates its visitors creatively.
- Content is structured and organized into sections.
- Attention is given to correct spelling and grammar structure.
- We expect to see evidence of regular site maintenance. We allow no more than 5 broken external links.
- Method of showing the viewer what they can expect to find within your site. For example, site map, index, overview, menu or a table of contents.
- All pages must have a consistent appearance.
- Layout of graphics and text should be well spaced.
- The site is functional with both Netscape 4.7 or higher and Internet Explorer 6.0.
- Images are free of pixilated edges.
- All pages must be pleasing to the eye. Use backgrounds that lend a concept or theme to enhance your subject matter.
- All image graphics must have height, width and Alt tags in the coding.
- Keep pages to 4 "page down" scrolls on 1024 X 768 screen resolution.
- Limit animations to two per page.
- All Images load properly.
- Text uses web appropriate fonts in readable sizes and contrasting colors.
- Good page planning with no unintentional horizontal scrolling on 1024 X 768 screen resolution.
- All scripts must be functional without error messages.
- All pages load within 60 seconds at 56 kbps modem or have a load indicator.
- If your navigational tool is located at the top of your page, you must have a "to the top" command at the bottom of your page.
- Navigational tool must be user-friendly, organized and consistent throughout the entire site without the use of browser navigation.
- Opening an internal link in a new window should have an obvious reason.
- External links should open a new window.
- There should be multiple methods or alternate options for navigation.
These points are purely subjective. The evaluators will be asking themselves the following questions:
- Was I taught something by the site's content?
- Was I shown creativity by its creator?
- Was I mesmerized by the content and beauty of the site?
- Was I left wondering how I could aspire to become as talented a Webmaster?
Please proceed to the view awards page.